PLCs and PLNs
Professional learning communities have been implemented in many schools and districts throughout the country. In my school system, we have had professional learning communities implemented throughout the schools, but I don't feel like they were used in a very productive way. Pirtle and Tobia indicate that there are six insights that schools and districts can implement to achieve effective professional learning communities. In short, administrators need to provide a structure and purpose, address instructional challenges, provide support, foster trust, monitor work and provide feedback, and support teachers' efficacy and professionalism (2014). The focus of the PLCs should ultimately be directly related to student outcomes. As a faculty, we were divided into professional learning communities, but they were not all focused on student outcomes. For example, one of the PLCs was focused on the spring art night and the methods teachers would use to go about having students produce a certain theme of art. The PLC I was involved in was focused on math, but we really didn't have the proper guidelines to follow to make the PLC effective. We no longer have active PLCs.
The professional learning networks I have recently been active in include a Twitter chat and two other PLNs that are related to my teaching. The Twitter chat is called #satchat. It takes place on Saturday mornings from 7:00-7:30. In one of the recent chats, we discussed childhood trauma and how our schools are addressing the issue. I was really enlightened and challenged by the discussion and dialogue. It prompted me to think about some things that I hadn't put much thought into. One of the participants provided me with a link to a TED talk that was very helpful. Another chat addressed passionate leadership - what it looks like and how to reignite that passion. It made me examine myself and reflect on the level of my passion in my teaching. Being an active participant in this learning network has inspired me to continue to engage with my peers in other Twitter chats involving education.
The two other professional learning networks that I have joined and been involved in are Tech Tools for the Classroom and Building Understanding in Mathematics. Both are part of edWeb.net. In both PLNs, there are monthly webinars and ongoing discussions. Educators can share ideas and collaborate with one another from all over the world. The webinars are all archived, so I can watch one of the dozens that have been featured. There are also resources that teachers have shared that I have access to. Becoming a part of these networks of educators has prompted me to seek out more PLNs that I can be a part of, both to learn from and contribute to.
Reference
Pirtle, S. S. & Tobia, E. (2014). Implementing Effective Professional Learning Communities. SEDL Insights, 2(3). 1-8.
The professional learning networks I have recently been active in include a Twitter chat and two other PLNs that are related to my teaching. The Twitter chat is called #satchat. It takes place on Saturday mornings from 7:00-7:30. In one of the recent chats, we discussed childhood trauma and how our schools are addressing the issue. I was really enlightened and challenged by the discussion and dialogue. It prompted me to think about some things that I hadn't put much thought into. One of the participants provided me with a link to a TED talk that was very helpful. Another chat addressed passionate leadership - what it looks like and how to reignite that passion. It made me examine myself and reflect on the level of my passion in my teaching. Being an active participant in this learning network has inspired me to continue to engage with my peers in other Twitter chats involving education.
The two other professional learning networks that I have joined and been involved in are Tech Tools for the Classroom and Building Understanding in Mathematics. Both are part of edWeb.net. In both PLNs, there are monthly webinars and ongoing discussions. Educators can share ideas and collaborate with one another from all over the world. The webinars are all archived, so I can watch one of the dozens that have been featured. There are also resources that teachers have shared that I have access to. Becoming a part of these networks of educators has prompted me to seek out more PLNs that I can be a part of, both to learn from and contribute to.
Reference
Pirtle, S. S. & Tobia, E. (2014). Implementing Effective Professional Learning Communities. SEDL Insights, 2(3). 1-8.
Comments
Post a Comment